derelict
----------------------------------
pictorial building index
----------------------------------

----------------------------------
acre house
----------------------------------
north park house (refurb)
----------------------------------
botanics garage
----------------------------------
british linen company bank
----------------------------------
burnt new build offices
----------------------------------
bushes bar, tollcross
----------------------------------
canal - lock keeper's house
----------------------------------
clydebank tenements
----------------------------------
clyde place - barretts
----------------------------------
clydesdale paint works
----------------------------------
266-68 clyde st - offices
----------------------------------
conveniences - anniesland (refurb)
----------------------------------
co-operative building (demolished)
----------------------------------
conveniences - clyde st
----------------------------------
custom house
----------------------------------
eastern necropolis gate lodge
----------------------------------
elder park
----------------------------------
govan berthing cranes
----------------------------------
govanhill picture house
----------------------------------
graphical house
----------------------------------
howden engineering office
----------------------------------
kelvingrove bandstand (refurb)
----------------------------------
kingston bowling club
----------------------------------
leyland motor co. building
----------------------------------
lion chambers
----------------------------------
lyceum cinema
----------------------------------
lynedoch st offices
----------------------------------
mcdonalds drive-thru (demolished)
----------------------------------
nithsdale hall
----------------------------------
old court hall
----------------------------------
235 old shettleston rd
----------------------------------
18 park terrace (refurb)
----------------------------------
phone exchange, centre st
----------------------------------
pigeon warehouse (refurb)
----------------------------------
possil school gymnasium
----------------------------------
possil railway station
----------------------------------
st columba's, clydebank
----------------------------------
st margaret's presbytery
----------------------------------
saw & file works, anderston
----------------------------------
schoolhouse, st james rd
----------------------------------
scotway house
----------------------------------
sentinel works
----------------------------------
shettleston hall
----------------------------------
shiels house
----------------------------------
sir john maxwell school
----------------------------------
temple police station
----------------------------------
temple sawmills office
----------------------------------
the cat
----------------------------------
west street petrol station
----------------------------------
white house inn
----------------------------------
whiteinch burgh hall
----------------------------------
whitevale baths
----------------------------------
yoker public house (demolished)
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
technical case studies
----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

all images and content copyright © 2013 - derelictglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@derelictglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information



- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.derelictglasgow.co.uk - www.architectureglasgow.co.uk


235 Old Shettleston Road - Janitor House:
Located in the eastern reaches of the city in Shettleston; this derelict single storey red sandstone janitor's house is in a very poor state of repair. Built in 1868 and now derelict the building is cordoned off and signed as a dangerous building (this signage helps to reduce the owner's liabilities under the Occupier's Liability (Scotland) Act 1960).
The adjacent (in use by BSL) former nursery school (189 Old Shettleston Road) is the parent building to the janitor's house and built at the same time (1868) and similar details and stone finishes can be seen featured ion each building.
To the rear of the janitor's house is an extension built onto the original building which can be seen when looking at the western elevation from the main road.
The building has a bay window to the east of the front (south) elevation and a pair of windows to the west of the main door. The slate roof is in a very poor state of repair with missing slates, large holes in the timber sarking board below the slates and missing ridge tiles. A chimney tops each gable wall, with the west chimney poorly rendered as a repair sometime in the past which can now seen to be falling away revealing the original red sandstone beneath. Numerous holes in the roof contribute to the loss of the building's watertight envelope and indicate the interior will largely be destroyed and rotten, any refurbishment would be costly and involve stripping the building to the shell, no doubt making such an undertaking prohibitively expensive. The cast iron gate posts and railings remain and are considerable age and may well be original. Vegetation has taken hold and the only residents now are the local wildlife. The building is un-listed.

street address: 235 Old Shettleston Road, Glasgow, G32 7HN
Latitude / Longitude: 55.853697,-4.176619 (sourced using Google Maps)
Site visit date: 12 August 2013.

View looking north-west down Old Shettleston Road. The building can be seen in the foreground between the red painted gates and the bsl building to the west. The bsl building is the former 1868 Shettleston Nursery School and parent building to the janitor house at no.235 (12/08/2013)


south elevation onto Old Shettleston Road with vegetation growth rampant to the east (12/08/2013)


south elevation (12/08/2013)


south elevation onto Old Shettleston Road with the bay window to the right and the pair of windows to the left of the centrally located main door (12/08/2013)


original red sandstone gate posts and low wall define the building's front curtilidge(12/08/2013)


the building is well secured with metal shutters and grilles (12/08/2013)


the bay window with security grilles and rotted single glazing timber case and sash windows, sarking boards from the roof can be seen propped against the bay at ground level (12/08/2013)


atop the bay window can be seen the partially collapsed section of roof (12/08/2013)


the pair of windows on the left side of the main door (12/08/2013)


no.235, signposted as a dangerous building to help reduce the owner's liability under the Occupier's Liability (Scotland) Act 1960. (12/08/2013)


wildlife have taken possession of the property (12/08/2013)


ridge tiles and large areas of slates are missing from the roof and along the skews (12/08/2013)


decayed timbers at the eaves (12/08/2013)


missing slates at the skews (12/08/2013)


poorly rendered chimney atop the west gable, and small remnants of the lead flashing can be seen at the skew (12/08/2013)


a scruffy crow atop the roof ridgeline (12/08/2013)


view from the south-west with the blank west gable wall and extension visible to the rear (north) (12/08/2013)






click here to view next featured derelict building


back to top




View looking north-west down Old Shettleston Road. The building can be seen in the foreground between the red painted gates and the bsi building to the west