Elder Park: Mansion House Portico and Fairfield Farmhouse:
Located in Govan, Elder Park was opened in 1885. On the north side are two points of interest; the original farm house from Fairfield farm which previously occupied the site and secondly the Italian portico from Mansion House. Mansion House was built on the Linthouse estate in 1791 and thought to be a Robert Adam design. It was demolished in 1921. The portico was saved and re-erected in Elder park in the same year.
The farmhouse is circa 1850 and there have been proposals to repair it for some time, recently in summer 2011 there was some work undertaken to help secure and waterproof the structure. The farmhouse is B-listed.
street address: Elderpark Road, Govan Road, Glasgow, G51 4AA
Latitude / Longitude: 55.863515,-4.326931 (sourced using Google Maps)
approach from the west, the farmhouse lies to the left, the portico to the right
front view of the portico
italian portico information
view showing the sweeping stairs to either side of the portico
rear view of the portico and the ionic capitals
opposite the portico is Fairfield farmhouse, here is the front (south elevation), with extensions to the east and west
front (south elevation), there are extensions to the east and west of the structure, here on the right can be seen the east extension
west extension and view through to former playground
west gable end with missing tiles and damaged top
fenced off and with warning signs
south elevation and the farm house's front door. the upper windows have been broken into
farmhouse front door
dormer window detail
rear north elevation, the east and west extensions are clearly visible to each side of the original farm house
no parking signage at entrance
view through the gates from Govan Road of the north (rear) elevation
view from the roundabout west of the site, here the top of the west elevation is visible over the wall. A ladder is up to the window, this is apparently work organised by Historic Scotland to make the building more waterproof at this point in time. Hopefully this will be the first steps to the proper repair and re-use of the farmhouse in the future.