derelict
----------------------------------
pictorial building index
----------------------------------

----------------------------------
acre house
----------------------------------
north park house (refurb)
----------------------------------
botanics garage
----------------------------------
british linen company bank
----------------------------------
burnt new build offices
----------------------------------
bushes bar, tollcross
----------------------------------
canal - lock keeper's house
----------------------------------
clydebank tenements
----------------------------------
clyde place - barretts
----------------------------------
clydesdale paint works
----------------------------------
266-68 clyde st - offices
----------------------------------
conveniences - anniesland (refurb)
----------------------------------
co-operative building (demolished)
----------------------------------
conveniences - clyde st
----------------------------------
custom house
----------------------------------
eastern necropolis gate lodge
----------------------------------
elder park
----------------------------------
govan berthing cranes
----------------------------------
govanhill picture house
----------------------------------
graphical house
----------------------------------
howden engineering office
----------------------------------
kelvingrove bandstand (refurb)
----------------------------------
kingston bowling club
----------------------------------
leyland motor co. building
----------------------------------
lion chambers
----------------------------------
lyceum cinema
----------------------------------
lynedoch st offices
----------------------------------
mcdonalds drive-thru (demolished)
----------------------------------
nithsdale hall
----------------------------------
old court hall
----------------------------------
235 old shettleston rd
----------------------------------
18 park terrace (refurb)
----------------------------------
phone exchange, centre st
----------------------------------
pigeon warehouse (refurb)
----------------------------------
possil school gymnasium
----------------------------------
possil railway station
----------------------------------
st columba's, clydebank
----------------------------------
st margaret's presbytery
----------------------------------
saw & file works, anderston
----------------------------------
schoolhouse, st james rd
----------------------------------
scotway house
----------------------------------
sentinel works
----------------------------------
shettleston hall
----------------------------------
shiels house
----------------------------------
sir john maxwell school
----------------------------------
temple police station
----------------------------------
temple sawmills office
----------------------------------
the cat
----------------------------------
west street petrol station
----------------------------------
white house inn
----------------------------------
whiteinch burgh hall
----------------------------------
whitevale baths
----------------------------------
yoker public house (demolished)
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
technical case studies
----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

White House Inn - Refurbished 2013:
An 18th century random rubble sandstone building and public house which has occupied the site at the top of Maryhill Locks since the completion of the Forth and Clyde canal in 1790. The White House Inn is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Maryhill and have lain empty for some time. The signage on the north elevation has been removed revealing the old painted sign with the name Owen Jones who ran the premises from 1911. The building is boarded up and has been re-painted white since being empty, it is believed to be included in plans to develop the canal which lies immediately to the south of the building.

Update: refurbished 2013

street address: 1641 Maryhill Road, Glasgow, G20 0DZ
Latitude / Longitude: 55.876173,-4.258243 (sourced using Google Maps)




north elevation onto Maryhill Road, the central two storey stone building has a single storey extension to each side


entrance at the east end of the north elevation


signage on the north elevation


two storey main building directly onto Maryhill Road,. Symmetrical and rendered with a white painted pebbledash the building is secured and has lain empty since


the removal of the public house signage has revealed the name of a former long-term occupant


chimney at the west end of the two storey building


view east down Maryhill Road along the north elevation


west elevation and view down Maryhill Road


view of the south elevation, from the other side of the canal. This photograph shows the proximity of the building to the canal


lintel stones over the doorway on the south elevation


view of the south elevation


the building is located adjacent to lock 21 on the Forth and Clyde canal


east elevation and the exposed stone on the west elevation of the two storey central building showing the random stones used to make the walls




click here to view next featured derelict building




back to top




all images and content copyright © 2013 - derelictglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@derelictglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information



- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.derelictglasgow.co.uk - www.architectureglasgow.co.uk