Our Lady and St Margaret's Presbytery:
A Pugin & Pugin designed presbytery circa 1882. Originally Our Lady and St Margaret's RC church was sited alongside the presbytery. The large red sandstone building to the south at 126-136 is Our Lady & St. Margaret's RC Primary School designed by Bruce & Hay (1910). Whilst the school has recently been converted to offices and is in good condition, the presbytery is in a dreadful condition, with smashed windows, heavily worn and damaged stonework, missing portions of roof, vegetation growth and signs of internal fire damage visible through the window openings.
The building is three storeys with an attic floor and constructed from common brick internally, heavily rusitcated blond sandstone to the exterior and internally timber floors and a timber roof covered with the ubiquitous slate of the era. The east (front) elevation features a gothic arched doorway, large rose window in the roof gable and an overall symmetrical design. The north elevation has a large bay window on the ground and first floor.
The presbytery is category C listed.
street address: 118 Stanley Street, Kinning Park, Glasgow G41 1JH
Latitude / Longitude: 55.850909,-4.280607 (sourced using Google Maps)
Site visit dates: 19 May 2011
view looking south down Stanley Street at the north elevation of the presbytery and along the east elevation onto Stanley Street. To the south and north of the presbytery are parts of the walls from when the site contained the church, presbytery and their entrances remain (19/05/2011)
view north, back up Stanley Street, with the short asymmetrical south elevation and the front of the building (east elevation) (19/05/2011)
remaining heavily rusticated wall linking the presbytery to the large red sandstone school to the south (19/05/2011)
top of the south elevation, with smashed windows, missing roof tiles, and to the right of the photograph missing stonework at the corner revealing the brickwork inner wall and timber roof structure (19/05/2011)
top of the east elevation from the south, with bountiful vegetation growing from the building (19/05/2011)
east (front) elevation with the doorway on Stanley Street. The building has 3 storeys with an attic storey, note also the missing top of the centre piece of stonework over the entrance (19/05/2011)
main entrance (19/05/2011)
first floor window over the entrance (19/05/2011)
first floor window on the north end of the east elevation. Through the window aperture can clearly be seen the fire-damaged interior and partially collapsed ceiling (19/05/2011)
north elevation (19/05/2011)
first floor window on north elevation (19/05/2011)
remaining wall to the north of the presbytery (19/05/2011)
broken gateway (19/05/2011)
detail of the wall remains to the north (19/05/2011)
click here to view next featured derelict building
back to top