derelict
----------------------------------
pictorial building index
----------------------------------

----------------------------------
acre house
----------------------------------
north park house (refurb)
----------------------------------
botanics garage
----------------------------------
british linen company bank
----------------------------------
burnt new build offices
----------------------------------
bushes bar, tollcross
----------------------------------
canal - lock keeper's house
----------------------------------
clydebank tenements
----------------------------------
clyde place - barretts
----------------------------------
clydesdale paint works
----------------------------------
266-68 clyde st - offices
----------------------------------
conveniences - anniesland (refurb)
----------------------------------
co-operative building (demolished)
----------------------------------
conveniences - clyde st
----------------------------------
custom house
----------------------------------
eastern necropolis gate lodge
----------------------------------
elder park
----------------------------------
govan berthing cranes
----------------------------------
govanhill picture house
----------------------------------
graphical house
----------------------------------
howden engineering office
----------------------------------
kelvingrove bandstand (refurb)
----------------------------------
kingston bowling club
----------------------------------
leyland motor co. building
----------------------------------
lion chambers
----------------------------------
lyceum cinema
----------------------------------
lynedoch st offices
----------------------------------
mcdonalds drive-thru (demolished)
----------------------------------
nithsdale hall
----------------------------------
old court hall
----------------------------------
235 old shettleston rd
----------------------------------
18 park terrace (refurb)
----------------------------------
phone exchange, centre st
----------------------------------
pigeon warehouse (refurb)
----------------------------------
possil school gymnasium
----------------------------------
possil railway station
----------------------------------
st columba's, clydebank
----------------------------------
st margaret's presbytery
----------------------------------
saw & file works, anderston
----------------------------------
schoolhouse, st james rd
----------------------------------
scotway house
----------------------------------
sentinel works
----------------------------------
shettleston hall
----------------------------------
shiels house
----------------------------------
sir john maxwell school
----------------------------------
temple police station
----------------------------------
temple sawmills office
----------------------------------
the cat
----------------------------------
west street petrol station
----------------------------------
white house inn
----------------------------------
whiteinch burgh hall
----------------------------------
whitevale baths
----------------------------------
yoker public house (demolished)
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------
technical case studies
----------------------------------

----------------------------------
website homepage
----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

Former Robinson & Dunn Temple Sawmills Office:
An art deco red brick building office block built circa 1932 to the designs of architect John Laird (1868-1937). The building formed a grand frontage and ofifce onto the mian road for Robinson & Dunn Temple Sawmills whose yard was sited behind the building adjacent to the canal which is sited just to the north. The building was converted to a bar/restaurant in the late 1990s with a large extension to the north designed to be in keeping with the original art deco styled building. The most recent bar/restaurant use ended 2004 when the business closed down. Since then the building has lain empty, for the first years a for sale/rent sign was to be seen, but as time passed the building fell away from internet porperty listings and the signage seen in some of the photographs below fell away.
There are currently more typical signs of dereliction showing, the building has been broken into, multiple windows are smashed, large damp areas are appearing on the north walls, and the car park to the east is strewn with debris. The rear fencing has been renewed, but the building has no fencing at parts of the north side so this repair is somewhat superfluous. Recently (2012) evidence of the decay of the flat roofing has been more pronounced with sightings of birds picking away at the roofing surface to access the insulation below. Two local crows were spotted being particularly industrious repeatedly visiting the flat roof at the northern edge and with each visit returning to their nest with pieces of insulation. The building is category C listed.

street address: 300 Bearsden Rd, Glasgow G13 1LH
Latitude / Longitude: 55.895181,-4.321992 (sourced using Google Maps)
site visit date: 16 March 2011


Bearsden Road frontage. The original 1932 building is symmetrical and to the right of the photograph. The red brick contemporary extension is to the left, with no windows to the front and a rounded turret element turning the corner whcih has been boarded up at the corner window (16/03/2011)


south elevation (16/03/2011)


west end of the south elevation with round window (16/03/2011)


view of the massing of elements looking up at the west elevation (16/03/2011)


original symmetrical west elevation (16/03/2011)


main doorway onto Bearsden Road (16/03/2011)


north-west corner, part of the newer extension, note the metal lintel piece and brickwork which differs from the original building (16/03/2011)


north elevation (modern extension), note large damp areas on this wall, especially at the top, suggesting the drainage from the roof and guttering has failed (16/03/2011)


turret on the east (rear) and north corner, this is part of the modern addition (16/03/2011)


east (rear) elevation (16/03/2011)


the building has sat empty since closure in 2004, debris and relics from its use as a bar/restaurant litter the car park area to the east (16/03/2011)


more random odds and ends spilled from the skip in the car park (16/03/2011)


large open plan ground floor area opened up for when it was last in use when the building was a bar and restaurant and now stripped of fittings and laid bare (16/03/2011)


view down the staircase from the first floor with the round oculus window ahead with smashed glass (16/03/2011)


north-west corner of the interior of the building (16/03/2011)


some meters are bigger than others.... a commercial sized electricity meter for the building sited on the south side gently rusts as the building sits empty (16/03/2011)


happier days... a photograph of a row of kilted men, with their heads chopped off by the inept photographer lies on the ground having spilled out from the rubbish skip (16/03/2011)


south and east elevations, with unchecked ivy growth, such abundant growth indicates possible wall dampness (16/03/2011)




click here to view next featured derelict structure


back to top


all images and content copyright © 2013 - derelictglasgow.co.uk
please do not use without permission: contact@derelictglasgow.co.uk

disclaimer & copyright information



- home - building index - about - web links - contact -

www.derelictglasgow.co.uk - www.architectureglasgow.co.uk