Ferrymaster's House, Yoker Ferry Road, Glasgow - DEMOLISHED 2012:
Located just to the west side of the ferry slipway across the Clyde at Yoker in the far west of the city this former public house has now been demolished following years of neglect which saw vacancy descend into dereliction. A steady war of petty attrition followed as the abandoned building passed from saleable/lettable condition into a perilous state with the roof entirely lost following a catastrophic fire. A litany of further vandalism and fire-raising along with the ravages of zero maintenance and the inevitable decay of the building's materials and lack of roof rendered the structure into an increasingly poor and dangerous condition. Eventually in early 2012 the building was finally demolished.
The building was originally the ferrymaster's house and most recently a riverside bar named Wolbirn's Wharf. The building first came to the attention of Derelict Glasgow after hearing about a burnt out former Inn in this locale and then seeing the building in better days in an episode of the original Taggart where the the lead actor Mark McManus is filmed at this very public house in a scene.
The building type: blond sandstone mass walling with random rubble on the lesser facades, a former pitched roof, undoubtedly timber with slate covering from the region dates this building almost certainly somewhere in the late 19th century. Examination of period maps shows the building on an 1897 dated ordnance survey map, however on the next available map dated 1864 the building is not visible, hence its building date can be placed sometime in this rather large 33 year period (1864-97).
street address: 64 Yoker Ferry Road, Glasgow, G14 0NP
Latitude / Longitude: 55.88741,-4.381033 (sourced using Google Maps)
view looking north-east with the gable end wall (west elevation) and in the foreground a single storey extnsion and unusual octagonal shaped corner extension project from the south elevation
approach from Yoker Ferry Road (note new flats in the background left which following practical completion prior to occupation were torched in a suspected arson attack. The brick clad timber framed structure was destroyed by the fire and subsequently demolished completely within days.)
small out-building just to the east of the former public house
brickwork detail and smashed former light fitting. Note the former name of the public house: The Wharf.
view of east elevation with the 'wrap-around' extension and octagonal shaped corner piece
gable end of the east elevation with large cracks opening up were the pointing has been lost
south-east elevations and timber sheathing board used to seal the building
knocked down heras fencing and the discarded debris of local miscreants
interior of west gable end showing the missing roof. Evidence of the ferocity of the fire which caused the loss of the entire roof over the original part of the building can be seen in the scorch marks up the chimney head. The timber roof will have collapsed into the building following the loss of structural integrity due to the fire.
the extension can be seen to be of common brick construction with timbers which would have timber panels probably with painted former signage adorning their frontages. Multiple slates have been lost from the roof and the roofing felt has been exposed underneath.
view south past the derelict building across the Clyde, the twin gables still rise defiantly skyward, but without the structural bracing provided by the roof between a visible lean inward is apparent to both gables.
at the building's rear a concrete set of steps leads up to a first floor back doorway.
smashed step of rear first floor most probably used as a private entrance to accomodation over the public house.
view inside from the top of the rear stair
out-building on site's north-west corner
west gable end elevation
relics of the past
west elevation window and charred collapsed former ceiling joists from the roof structure
view past the west elevation towards the Braehead developments over the Clyde
click here to view next featured derelict building
back to top